Amazingly flakey you’re going to love these Vegan Buttery Biscuits. Enjoy them plain, with some butter and honey, or smothered with jam!
Vegan Buttery Biscuits
Many people don’t know this about me but I grew up in the south and biscuits are a food group down there. I feel like we are all pulled aside at one time in our life to learn the correct way to make biscuits down there.
I mean I’m kind of kidding but seriously it’s like BBQ, you just don’t mess around with certain foods. One of my favorite things to eat is biscuits and gravy. Oh my, that brings me back!
And yes, it might seem like a sin to make these biscuits vegan but I promise you they taste like the real deal. Just because I can’t digest dairy doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy buttery biscuits!
Main Ingredients Needed
For the BEST Vegan Buttery Biscuits, you’ll need only a few common pantry staples. Instead of using buttermilk and butter, I replaced those with plant-based options. Here’s everything you’ll need to make these buttery biscuits:
- Milk + Apple Cider Vinegar – This combo is the substitution for buttermilk. I use oatmilk for baking because it really does help brown your baked goods a bit more than almond or soy milk.
- All-Purpose Flour – I’ve tried to substitute this with whole wheat flour and other flours and it just doesn’t come out the same.
- Baking Powder + Cream of Tar Tar + Salt – This is your levening and flavor adder. Don’t leave these out.
- Vegan Butter – If you don’t have dairy issues like me, please go ahead and use real butter. I’m picky with the brand I use and Earth Balance. It’s the best substitute for baking.
How to Make Vegan Buttery Biscuits
For the full details of how to make the best vegan buttery biscuits see the printable recipe card below!
Step 1: Preheat
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Step 2: Combine wet ingredients
In a measuring cup mix together the apple cider vinegar and milk. Set aside.
Step 3: Combine dry ingredients
In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt together.
Step 4: Mix butter and flour
Cut the vegan butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Step 5: Combine wet and dry ingredients together
Make a well in the center. Add the plant milk mixture. Mix with your hands or a wooden spoon until moistened.
Step 6: Create biscuits
Turn dough to a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead dough 10-12 times. Lightly roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness and cut into round biscuit shapes.
Step 7: Bake
Add biscuits to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Makes about 10 biscuits.
The best toppings for vegan buttery biscuits
These biscuits are amazing on their own, however, if you’d like to add some toppings here are some of my favorites:
- Berry Jam – I love all types of berry jams, strawberry, mixed berry, black berry, and delicious blueberry jam all go great on these biscuits.
- Butter – Vegan butter, I use earth balance.
- Gravy – I mean do I have to say more? Biscuits and gravy is the BEST!
- Honey – If you’re vegan you can use agave or maple syrup.
Love this biscuit recipe? You’ll love these recipes:
- Vegan Pancakes
- Vegan Buddha Bowls
My family and I love these biscuits. I really hope you try this recipe. If you do, let me know what you think below!
Vegan Buttery Biscuits
- 2 cup all-purpose flour + more for flouring the surface.
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 2/3-3/4 cup plant milk oat, almond, or soy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- In a measuring cup add apple cider vinegar to the plant milk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl stir the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt together.2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Cut the vegan butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center.
- Add the plant milk mixture. Mix with your hands or a wooden spoon until moistened.
- Turn dough to a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead dough 10-12 times. Lightly roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness and cut into round biscuit shapes.
- Add biscuits to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Makes about 10 biscuits.